Mark Miltz, a native of Virginia, has been producing and selling paintings since 1974. After earning a fine art degree, he has spent the last 27 years as a commercial artist and illustrator. In recent years, he has returned to his first love, representational painting. Concentrating on the figure, he brings to his work a high level of draftsmanship, combined with an appreciation for the abstract qualities of the paint itself. Miltz attacks his subjects with energetic paint, powerful composition and a strong sense of light. Yet this energy is tempered with profound respect for the great tradition of western figure painting. Though modern in concept, the work pays homage to the masters of the past.
Miltz is currently working primarily in oils, which he likes for their versatility, rich color and strong textural qualities. His work is about the tension between the subject portrayed, and the means used to create the illusion of 'subject'. Tensions and ambiguities within the subject matter itself are at the heart of each piece. He invites you to explore each painting's many levels with him.
• MA Fine Art (Distinction) - Kent Institute of Art and Design - Canterbury, England, 2002
• Oil Painting/ Mark Daily - Workshop - The Fechin Institute, 1996
• Oil Painting/The portrait -Daniel Green Demonstration - Melbourne, FL, 1994
• Experimental Techniques in Acrylic - Brevard Art Museum Extension, 1992
• Figure Painting and Drawing - Brevard Art Museum Extension, 1990
• Bachelor of Arts, Studio Art Concentration - Old Dominion University, 1979